Starts 8/31 ends 9/7

It Is That Time Again:Tips for Setting New Year's Resolutions



Most of us set them.

Some of us call them resolutions, some of us call them goals, and others say they don't partake in this particular cliche (but we all know that deep down, secretly, they do!).

New Year's Resolutions are a human tradition, something inspired by our innate want to better ourselves and change our lives in a positive way. We only have one life after all and one chance to make a lasting impression not only on ourselves, but on those around us.

I like setting goals that will positively impact myself and my family. I like my children to see me working toward goals. I like to inspire them to be better people and to see them see me work toward something that I have to try hard to accomplish. I like to set goals that will make me a healthier, stronger, and overall better wife, sister, daughter, friend and Believer.

I am proof that goal setting and resolution making can be a great tool for bettering your health. I started running about three years ago- did you catch that- THREE YEARS AGO- and look at me now... I love it! I have gone from from barely being able to run a 5k in under 30 minutes, to running half marathons in as low as 1 hour and 52 minutes, to even running a full marathon.

If you set a goal, you can accomplish it.


A recent Timehop memory.

I love making resolutions and no matter what you call them, resolutions, goals, or plans... it doesn't matter. Changing your life in a more productive, focused, healthy and sincere way is vital to living your best life.

So if the idea of setting a goal that you will work on for an entire year scares you, I have some suggestions. Sometimes just knowing how to start can be a challenge to overcome. Although I am still trying to narrow down what my goals will be for the year 2016, I wanted to share some tips that I consider when finalizing my choices:
1. Keep it simple stupid. Yes this is a writing rule you probably learned in high school but it is also important in goal setting. If you goal takes more than a sentence, or maybe two, to explain than it really is more than one goal, and likely too complicated to reasonably accomplish.
2. Don't set more than 2-5 resolutions. If you truly want to work on these goals for an entire year, you can't have too many to start with. A long list can feel overwhelming.
3. Scream your goals loudly. Post them on Facebook, start a blog, or just talk about them with your family or friends. If you tell other people, you will feel obligated to try harder. Make yourself be more accountable. Talking about them may inspire others as well!
4. Start easy. If you have a difficult goal, like to quit smoking, balance it out with a few smaller goals to keep you feeling motivated, like to eat 3 salads per week or to yell at your children less often. Don't make too many really difficult goals or you may find yourself quitting them a few days or weeks into the new year. If you do quit, get back on track and start over. Look at your goal as a war with lots and lots of battles before the end can be achieved.
5. Make a plan. Once you have decided on your goals get out a blank calendar or set future reminders in your phone and set timelines. Decide on rewards for yourself as you accomplish steps toward or milestones of your goal. Find a friend who isn't afraid to ruffle your feathers and ask them in advance of your starting your resolutions to periodically remind you of your goals or to check in on your progress.  
I can't tell you what you should choose, only you know yourself. But do yourself a favor and choose something. Anything. A new year is a great opportunity to start living your life in a way that you can be proud of.

It's time to brainstorm ideas... Comment below on some goals or resolutions you are considering for the year 2016.

Good luck!

Comments

Popular Posts